Sunday, February 05, 2006

Australia v Sth Africa - SCG

During my time in Sydney I’ve had many firsts, first Aussie Pub, fist real Aussie meat pie, first sighting of a kangaroo outside of a zoo… the list goes on and on. Yesterday however was a notable first, after picking Mark up from the Airport (see blogs below) we were off to the SCG (Sydney Cricket Grounds) for my first ever in person Cricket Game, Australia vs. South Africa in one day cricket.

My love, and yes I really do mean love, of cricket actually began last year when I was in South Africa for 4 weeks. In the middle of the afternoons, when the sun was just a bit too hot, I watched quite a bit of Cricket on TV. My love and understanding has grown immensely while being in Australia. Mark’s parents watch it all the time, while home sick for a week at the beginning of the year I watched for hours. I know the players names, I am learning the plays and some of the strategy and am slowly becoming a fan. This is a picture of Brett Lee, my favorite Aussie bowler and a South African batsman Graeme Smith.

The game was fantastic, Australia had 57-run victory over South Africa, the weather was beautiful (sunny about 85 F, slight breeze), and the fans were dressed up in Aussie pride like I’ve never seen in the US. Australia hit tons of great shots, for the first 2 hours (games usually are 8 hours long) Aussie fans were on their feet the entire time. Mark did get a slight sunburn, particularly funny since he came to work today with a sunburn after being in Korea in -19 degree C weather all week. The fans were a bit crazy, typically drunken revelry aside; it was the outfits and costumes I am talking about. It was like Halloween where the theme was Australia! Whole groups of people wearing all yellow matching outfits, hats of all kinds, faces painted, wigs, I even saw a group of girls wearing Australian flags as dresses. This is a pic of Mark and I in the stands taken with my camera phone (sorry for the closed eyes).

Mark’s parents were at the game with us, I learned more about the game, saw just how fast the bowlers throw the ball and experienced my first sold out stadium full of drunken Aussies. It was a blast and I can’t wait to go again! -kel

No comments: