Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bushwalks with grandpa

Although my parents live only 5 miles from the coast they live in an area that is surrounded by miles and miles of bushland - the 'bush' as we call it in Australia. I can remember going on bush walks in the area with my dad as a kid, and after me my nephew Corey used to go regularly with my dad. Now it is Luca's turn and he loves it. He is forever telling me about going on bush walks with Granpa and seeing animals and aboriginal carvings in the caves up there, throwing rocks at a rusty old car that was abandoned years ago, all this like he is the first person in the world to see this stuff.


Luca has been begging me to go on a bush walk with Grandpa and him so he can show me all of this, so last weekend while Kelly and Scout were at a birthday party Luca and I collected my dad and we went on our bush walk. First stop was under the tree where Luca hides all of the special 'walking' sticks he finds in the bush - I was privileged to be allowed to use his favourite stick. Then we were off throwing rocks at the wrecks and trees I used to throw them at, there are a million other memories up there for me as well.

Luca had a ball, he was our 'leader' and he didn't stop talking the entire time, telling me about different paths he has been down, caves he has been in, where he saw snakes, pointing out where kids had made fires and telling me the animals the aborioginal carving represent. We saw an eight foot long diamond python and a five foot water monitor on this walk - allways adds some excitement! A great few hours hanging out with Luca and my dad and we even managed to bring home a bunch of wild flowers for Kelly and Scout.

diamond python
water monitor on the walking trail

No comments: