Sunday, March 05, 2006

The fun has begun!

With only two weeks away to hosting our first party at our new house, we thought it might be a good idea to rip out the incredibly ancient carpet that had the fruitful odor of cat pee before our closest family and friends arrived for a post wedding brunch. Ripping out the carpet seemed simple enough but then came the great question, how will we get the old carpet to the tip (Aussie for the dump). This required us picking up our new truck Mark had purchased a few months ago from a friend.

Why hadn’t we picked up the truck before this weekend? Mark doesn’t know how to drive a manual, but I do. So off we went to the Wolley’s to pick up the truck, where I had to drive away while Mark drove away in the BMW. This was great fun for me, as most of you know, this was serious blow to the Aussie manhood born and bred into Mark. His woman had to come with him to drive the new truck! What was even better was later when we were at the hardware store when I drove up, Mark was in the passengers seat! I have come to realize most Aussie men are guys guys, very burley, very rugged most have dirt under there nails, you get the picture, you don’t let your fiancĂ© drive you to the hardware store if you are a real Aussie.

Small side note here – Just for you uncle Joe and the Pitt family, while packing and moving to Australia I found a note I wrote and signed when I was 10 years old, to Uncle Joe stating I would never drive the pooper scooper (the pooper scooper was this extremely ugly, old, truck that my dad owned, rusty and peeling paint, that when you started covered the entire car in a cloud of smoke that you had to drive out of, think Batman in a white Datsun Truck minus the glam and cool gatgets) I remember at Christmas the year I wrote this note that I hated the car so much I told Uncle Joe that I would rather walk when I was 16 than ever ever drive the truck. I remember Uncle Joe laughing at my stubbornness and telling me to write that down. I did drive that truck, and I don’t know what I promised Uncle Joe I would do if I did when I was 10, but I owe him big time, I drove that truck more than 100 times I am certain. Yesterday while driving around in our new truck it dawned on me that our new truck had just the same feel, that someday it could be my kids pooper scooper if I put it through enough wear and tear!

We ripped out all of the carpet, dug out one of the many flower beds in the house, loaded the truck up for a trip to the tip and completed our very first step of the remodel! Now all we have is about 1000 more hours in the yard, council approvals, lots of workmen, half the house torn apart and rebuilt and we’re ready to move in! One way or the other, I am determined to spend next Christmas in the house, at this point we might be camping in the backyard! Oh and look for my next blog all about teaching Mark how to drive a manual! This is going to be great fun! - kel

No comments: