Monday, March 03, 2008

Going South: The Great Ocean Road (Feb 18)

Across the Westgate bridge and off toward Geelong we got out of Melbourne early and just in time for Luca's morning nap. We stopped at the tourist info office in Geelong to get some maps of the Great Ocean Road. The ladies at the tourist info. loved their jobs and were proud residents of Geelong. When I told them I was skipping town as soon as they gave me the maps they went into overdrive on what there was to see in Geelong, where I should get some breakfast and why I should let Luca have a run around before continuing on toward Lorne. The ladies even pulled out the testimonial postcards from Canada and Sweden from people they had helped who were so inspired by Geelong they had to write and express their thanks upon returning home. Kelly and I are a much tougher sell - onwards to Lorne.

This first part of the Great Ocean Road has crazy roads, you hug cliffs on windy roads way above the ocean. I'm sure the view is great but I was keeping my eyes on the road. We got a laugh out of the road signs that showed a zig zaggy black line with "windy road next 120kms" - we are used to seeing the same signs with the label "windy road next 5kms" (or next 10kms...any distance far short of 100kms). We stopped in at Lorne for breakfast and Luca had a run in the park. Then on to Apollo Bay.



Kelly had booked a great place to stay for our first night out of Melbourne, it was out of town a ways and right above the ocean and had killer views. After checking in we headed in to Apollo Bay past rows of crazy wind swept trees and some cool houses. Apollo Bay is a cool small town itself but with temps in the mid 90's we headed straight to the beach.

If Luca has had more fun at any point in his life I would be suprised - he covered himself with muddy sand, he was a mess and when we finally left the beach he was none too impressed.

That night we enjoyed an awesome sunset and a swim in the pool and Luca enjoyed exploring a new hotel room. I would have been happy to stay here for a few days but at the same time I was looking forward to seeing the 12 Apostles and London Bridge.

No comments: